Re: [Tails-dev] Please test, review'n'merge feature/sdio

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Please test, review'n'merge feature/sdio
On 03/10/13 12:32, intrigeri wrote:
> intrigeri wrote (29 Sep 2013 16:32:00 GMT) :
>> Documentation is left to be done (#6326), that's why I'm not
>> requesting a merge yet, but in short:
>
> sajolida has committed write the documentation in due time,
> so this is now a formal review'n'merge request.

I did a bunch of tests for this branch today. And the results are quite
disappointing.

1. On a Thinkpad X61 I was able to clone using the new Tails Installer
fine onto a SD card. I noticed only two minor glitches:

- In the menu the launcher is called "Tails installer". It should be
"Tails Installer" as we use title capitalization for application name,
as all the other menus do.

- In the confirmation dialog, the device is presented as
"8.0 GB SD8GB device" (note the double space), whereas on the X200 it
is presented with a more explicit brand name. But that's no big deal.

Apart from that the process when all-right. But then I realized that the
X61 cannot boot from SD cards. So that's a bit useless...

2. So I tried to boot that SD card on a ThinkPad X200 and it wouldn't
boot. The syslinux error message was:

    SYSLINUX 4.02 debian-20101014 EDD Load error - Boot error

3. On the X200, I tried to run Tails Installer from this same branch and
clone onto the same SD card, boot from the X200, and I got the same
error message. I'm sending you in a private email most of the files on
that SD card for debugging.

4. Then on the X200, I tried to run Tails Installer from 0.21 and clone
onto that SD card, boot from the X200, and that worked fine. This worked
all-right with the feature/liveusb_ui_improvement that I tested on
Wednesday as well.

5. If I clone onto a USB stick using this same branch from the X61, the
USB stick boots fine.

So, from my experience, feature/sdio, adds a regression that prevents
from installing onto a SD card either through USB or through SD, and
boot through USB.

What else can I do to help your track this down?