Re: [Tails-dev] Benchmarking Redmine

Autor: intrigeri
Para: The Tails public development discussion list
Temas antigos: [Tails-dev] Benchmarking Redmine
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] Benchmarking Redmine
Hi,

intrigeri wrote (16 Sep 2012 17:25:11 GMT) :
> (re todo/better_task_manager)

> the nice Riseup folks have created a Redmine project for me to test
> this tool: https://labs.riseup.net/code/projects/tails

> My plan is to inject in there most of the Tails tasks that are
> clearly assigned to me and currently live in my personal private
> TODO list, use Redmine for a while in my mostly-offline setting, and
> see how it fits.

As discussed recently elsewhere, this is unlikely to happen any
time soon.

Therefore, Ague benchmarked Redmine (thank you) against a list of
actions that I felt were needed for usage without a web browser --
that may be offline usage, or for those of us who simply like it
better this way.

So, I think we should now evaluate and discuss the results [1],
and decide whether we feel it's good enough. Let's go.
I'm only quoting and discussing the limitations.

[1] https://tails.boum.org/todo/better_task_manager/#index1h1

> - create a new ticket and set its metadata:
>   [...]
>   * kind of the next thing to be done (e.g. code, documentation,
>     research, etc.) **ALMOST OK** → Can be encoded through a custom
>     field of list type with mutiple values. It can be set by email,
>     but only one value is supported in 1.4.4.

This drawback can be seen as a welcome incentive to split tickets and
bind them using the parent/child tickets relationship, instead of
having a single big ticket with several "next thing to do" in it. So,
I'll personally consider this limitation is an advantage ;)

> * parent task → **Unsupported**.

This will be a pain for usecases such as splitting a big ticket into
smaller ones, or adding a "next step" child ticket.

> [...]
> * Related issues → **Unsupported**.

I think I can live with that.

> - delete a ticket (spam...) → **Unsupported**.

I think I can live with that.

> - subscribe to a ticket over email or RSS/Atom **OK**

I've verified the Atom feed's URL is easy to guess from the ticket ID,
so I think this is good enough.

To sum up, only one drawback seems really painful for me. IMHO, this
is greatly compensated with the advantages to switching to a better
task manager, so I think it's certainly good enough.

What about you?