Re: [Tails-dev] Please review and merge bugfix/bridge_mode_v…

Autor: intrigeri
Para: The Tails public development discussion list
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] Please review and merge bugfix/bridge_mode_vs_tor_restarts
hi,

anonym wrote (17 Nov 2012 15:07:35 GMT) :
> True, but IMHO that loop is beneficial at every place restart-tor maybe
> will restart Vidalia, so that's a better place for it. See commit:

> c61392a Wait for the ControlPort to be up before starting Vidalia.

The proposed set of changes seemed to perfectly make sense in theory,
but I was seriously scared to see us go change things in that fragile
area of Tails at post-RC time, so I've tested this in various
situations. Only one failed, probably not due to the proposed
changes -- see the last one bellow:

without bridge option:

* boot with network cable, clock close to UTC and correct
* fully working Tails, unplug and re-plug network cable
* boot without network cable, clock close to UTC and correct
* boot without network cable, clock totally off

with bridge option:

  * boot with network cable, clock close to UTC and correct
  * boot without network cable, clock close to UTC and correct
  * boot without network cable, clock far from UTC but correct
  * boot without network cable, clock totally off
    -> failed to connect to the Tor network:
       stuck in is_clock_way_off's sleep 1 loop, at bootstrap progress
       10%, which means tor_cert_lifetime_invalid is returning false:
       the SSL handshake just fails, without the grep'ed string being
       written to the log. I *guess* that's a regression from 0.13 due
       to incomplete hacks to match Tor 0.2.3.x. If it's not known yet
       (I admit I'm a bit lost in this area these times), it probably
       deserves a ticket.

Merged this bugfix branch into testing and devel.