Re: [Tails-l10n] Please review doc/experimental

Author: sajolida
To: Tails localization discussion
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] Please review doc/experimental
matsa:

> sajolida <sajolida@???> a écrit :
>>
>> Thanks. And good luck with the translation.
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> I finally decided to learn about git and the branches, to see the
> maximum of the documentation translated and include in 0.11.
> In deed, the last times before the definitive freeze will be a bit
> tricky:
> If the GUI is changed,
> -the documentation should be mofidied
> -the translation should be adapted and reviewed
> -then merged by the authorized persons
>
> So I did a first test-push here:
> http://repo.or.cz/w/tails/matsa.git/commit/a54c7e0aec7de0b9f28bd7913f594be78f389899
>
> Can you please confirm it's done a way easy to merge?
> Here are the differents commands I used:
> https://pad.riseup.net/p/tails-git-branches

Well, it seems like it worked all right! The merge went fine and the
wiki built ok. I did a few minor fixes and pushed it back. Great job.

A few little comments just for the sake of being picky:

- To mark down stuff that needs to be fixed later we traditionally use
FIXME. I guess you could do the same in your translations (instead of
using '??').

- Seems like ikiwiki doesn't like when markdown links are split by a
line change in the PO file.

- The GDP Style Guide advises to avoid using gerund to ease translation
because they are sometimes ambiguous beasts [1]. My personal taste would
be to try to do the same in the translations themselves.
See "fonctionnant ensemble" → "qui fonctionnent ensemble".

- A bunch of correctly translated strings were marked as fuzzy. I
removed the fuzziness but then I wondered whether that was on purpose.

- I know that French typography includes a space after the column and
other punctuation marks in two parts. That's a problem with a limited
set of computer characters unless you use a non-break space (&nbsp; in
HTML). I wonder whether something has already been decided this issue
amongst the French translator. And I see some &nbsp in index.fr.po ;)

[1]
http://developer.gnome.org/gdp-style-guide/2.32/gdp-style-guide.html#locale-5

> Otherwise, in persistence/delete[1], in order to avoid data recovery, is
> it necessary to create an encrypted partition and reinstall Tails /
> isn't it enough to wipe the whole diskspace?

Technically speaking no. You need to wipe the whole USB and so you could
just format the device, create a plain text partition and wipe it. But
since we already had the documentation written to format and create an
encrypted partition we reused it even though the encryption is not
necessary.

--
sajolida