Re: [Tails-dev] hiding persistence aufs mounts on the Deskto…

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] hiding persistence aufs mounts on the Desktop [Was: tails next big features testing]
Hi,

anonym wrote (29 Mar 2012 16:59:05 GMT) :
> 03/21/2012 09:30 PM, intrigeri:
>>> I find a bit confusing to have an drive icon labeled ".gnupg" on
>>> the desktop. I also have a drive icon labeled "Persistent".
>>
>> Agreed, added to the TODO. There is probably some way to tell GNOME
>> to ignore this kind of mounts, or to do these aufs mounts in a way
>> they would be disregarded by GNOME. Any idea, anyone?

> Our only option seems to be the following gconf setting which disables
> *all* desktop "volume" icons:

>     /apps/nautilus/desktop/volumes_visible

> The question is if we want that. It should be noted that this
> setting doesn't remove the "volumes" from the Places menu.

I'm in favour of setting this option.

Enabling that GConf setting would not only fix the bug we're
discussing, but would also be a first step towards a bigger UI change:
GNOME3 does not manage the Desktop anymore by default, so volume icons
and other Desktop icons are meant to disappear anyway. I do like this
UI change. It implies we'll have to move our custom Desktop icons to
some other place. Why not start this move now? This would smoothen the
UI change Wheezy will carry for our users, by applying some of
it progressively.