Re: [Tails-dev] hiding persistence aufs mounts on the Deskto…

Author: anonym
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] hiding persistence aufs mounts on the Desktop
04/12/2012 09:30 PM, intrigeri:
> Hi,
>
> intrigeri wrote (30 Mar 2012 09:58:19 GMT) :
>>> Our only option seems to be the following gconf setting which
>>> disables *all* desktop "volume" icons:
>
>>>     /apps/nautilus/desktop/volumes_visible

>>> The question is if we want that. It should be noted that this
>>> setting doesn't remove the "volumes" from the Places menu.
>
>> I'm in favour of setting this option.
>
> anonym and I agree to consider this as a bugfix,
> and make this change in 0.11.
>
> But users will inevitably "Tails does not see my USB stick",
> so we need to have something to point them at,
> so a minimal doc page (that boils down to "Go to Places")
> seems needed.
>
> What do you (and especially doc writers) think?

In our Gnome intro we already point users to the Places menu [1] for
locating and mounting storage media. We don't mention the desktop
shortcuts for the devices anywhere, not even in the section about the
desktop [2]. So it seems like we can do this right away, without any doc
changes, as long as no one objects. Please comment before Sat Apr 14
20:00:00 UTC (i.e. within 48 hours) if you disagree with this change;
silence will be interpreted as agreement.

[1]
https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/introduction_to_gnome_and_the_tails_desktop/index.en.html#index2h2
[2]
https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/introduction_to_gnome_and_the_tails_desktop/index.en.html#index3h1