Re: [Tails-dev] Tails 0.10 release plan

Autor: intrigeri
Para: The Tails public development discussion list
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] Tails 0.10 release plan
Hi,

anonym wrote (30 Nov 2011 13:57:41 GMT) :
> 11/29/2011 08:06 PM, intrigeri:
>>
>>> Before merging, are there any more languages we should include
>>> (currently Russian, Farsi and Vietnamese).
>>
>> No idea. If these languages are ready to go in, I wonder why other
>> not-ready-yet languages should prevent this from happening.

> Sorry, what I meant was "before the merge into testing [= freeze]".

Merged into devel, then. This does not prevent us from merging the
branch again before the freeze if it's improved until then.

About "adding more languages": I don't know how we would pick a few
more languages among all possible ones. I'd rather see us spend time
obsoleting this problem (== prepare and release tails-greeter) than
solving it.

>>> What about just merging it and consider it as a tech review? I might
>>> have a look on a few of the bugs and stuff, but I don't think we
>>> should implement the os-probe-based auto-selection yet.
>>
>> I'm quite in favour of merging it and calling it a tech preview, but
>> I find it hard to decide anything without an up-to-date
>> todo/windows_theme page. I remember some of what anonym and
>> I privately discussed, but that page does not help me to clear
>> my memories.

> I think all issues we discussed are in the wiki. The only thing you
> deemed as an "RC bug" was missing launchers. I intend to add that
> before the freeze, as well as corresponding windowsy icons (claws =>
> outlook, pidgin => msn messenger, iceweasel => IE).

Great!

> Or did I miss anything?

I think you missed the "who am I talking to" part. That wiki page is
5 pages long. It has no TOC. The "Next things to do" section reads
that single sentence: "Look at what Windows XP, Vista and Seven look
like and research suitable themes." A few paragraphs later, a "Plan
for integration" section explains much was done already, and lists
other things that remain to be done. When the reader arrives at this
point, s/he has already read three full pages without a chance to
understand what's the actual thing that's happening and what may need
to be discussed further. The task is is todo/research state. Well...
I've personally followed most of the process because you kept me in
touch over private email; even so, I have to re-read that *entire*
long wiki page to refresh my memories, including many implementation
details I don't care about, because there's no other way I can quickly
get what's the point, what's currently blocking, what may need to be
discussed. This very mailing-list is being asked to make some sort of
collective decision about this topic. I think the way it was asked is
such we can be almost sure nobody but you and I will provide any
feedback, because the bar is put way too high for others to
participate. Even I find it painful. These are the reasons why I wrote
I find it hard to decide anything, see?

intrigeri <intrigeri@???>