Re: [Tails-dev] Tails 0.10 release plan

Autor: intrigeri
Para: The Tails public development discussion list
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] Tails 0.10 release plan
Hi,

anonym wrote (30 Nov 2011 16:13:28 GMT) :
>   - todo/harmonize_iceweasel_config_with_tbb: would be nice if we
>     have the time to discuss it first.

Speaking for myself, I don't think I'll be able to find time to deal
with that in addition to the other bits I've committed myself to for
Tails 0.10.

Anyhow, such a comparison (and quite some harmonization) was made
about one year ago, at the time we wrote the design'n'specs document.
By the way, I'm sorry I did not document the rationale between every
bit of the delta at this time :/ Not to say it's not useful to do
another pass at it (I do think it is!), but making this clear may help
you understand why I can very easily live with carrying this delta as
is for one or two more major release.

Also, from an organizational PoV, I don't think the next thing to do
is to collectively discuss this matter. A several pages uncommented
diff is not something that can be discussed in an efficient way IMHO.
Rather someone should cleanup the diff by removing obvious differences
(say, firegpg or other differing extensions), pick the low-hanging
fruits, and bring what is left to discuss up for discussion.
Retagged accordingly. But maybe there was already specific stuff you
wanted to discuss?

> BTW, is there any rationale for splitting our iceweasel preferences
> between /etc/iceweasel/{pref/iceweasel.js,profile/user.js}? Why not
> put them in the same configuration file?

I think it's cleaner to keep as much stuff as possible in the global
pref/iceweasel.js file, rather than in the profile/user.js skeleton
(that's copied into the profile created at first run); I've also found
it much more practical to do so at development time.

However, some prefs just don't work if set in pref/iceweasel.js.
This is mostly due to the fact in Tails, at first start, Iceweasel
registers system-wide extensions, install the extension(s?) we ship in
/etc, and creates a shiny new profile. In addition, some extensions do
weird stuff on first run. Clearly, all these steps don't happen in the
exact, perfect way that would make things work like we might dream of.
So we have to workaround, hack, etc. As a conclusion: TTBOMK every
line that was added to user.js was added there because it was the only
way to have it work. Hoping it makes things more clear.

intrigeri <intrigeri@???>