Re: [Tails-l10n] Bad Transifex strings vs Tails 3.9.1

Author: u
To: tails-l10n, anonym, erinm
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] Bad Transifex strings vs Tails 3.9.1
Hi!

anonym:
> While preparing Tails 3.9.1 I refreshed our translations but saw tons of bad translations like:
>
>     -msgstr "{beginning} এবং {last}"
>     +msgstr "{বিগিনিং} এবং {লাস্ট}"

> i.e. they are translating gettext's variable names. I couldn't import anything since each updated PO file had serious issues like these.

intrigeri wrote:

"This problem currently affects the following languages: bn_BD, ca, de,
el, es, es_AR, ga, he, pt_BR, tr. That is, not only it was not fixed,
but it's getting worse."

He asked 4 weeks ago that somebody fixes this on Transifex, but I
personally did not have time to do it and I think I do not have the
corresponding role on Transifex to be able to do it:

He wrote:

"What I think should happen is:

1. List all these issues: temporarily revert the commit that fixes
them and then run check_po

2. Fix all these issues on Transifex, somehow (i.e. apply my fixes or
get someone with adequate credentials to do it)

3. Educate Transifex translators about these things.
In our POT file they have a "python-brace-format" comment. I hope
Transifex does not lose this information.
I think that's the most important step to avoid having such issues
coming back forever.

Anyone up to it?

The commit that fixes these issues is
620447f7dd2feb8e1a306887356015eab1eb2c75, which I'll push later today."

So it seems that there IS a comment for translators but they do not read
it or maybe it gets lost :) Erinn, can you help with this?

Cheers!
u.