Re: [lime] Next meeting online: 7th October

Autor: Ilario
Para: libremesh
Asunto: Re: [lime] Next meeting online: 7th October
On 10/9/23 13:55, Pedro via LibreMesh wrote:
> - Proposal on using markdown in meeting notes: I think it might be
> better to use a tool that writes markdown and renders anything, which is
> becoming pretty common these days. I know two services that does it
> using opensource software: hedgedoc.org and cryptpad.fr ; both are nice,
> is just finding an instance that works fine and complies with ethical
> values. Hedgedoc demo says is not good for production; and I have my own
> hedgedoc instance that you could use. I am not aware of any problems
> with cryptpad, I think they are friendly
>   - here is an example
> https://cryptpad.fr/code/#/2/code/edit/KEEwOW5MnHu2lLJg9S6XU9Rx/
>   - and with this link you instance a new pad https://cryptpad.fr/code/
>   - cryptpad makes it in a way that the file is encrypted with the
> password in the URL which is not logged in the server; they officially
> suggest that if you want a well-known URL you should use a URL shortener

Thanks Pedro!
We were planning to use EtherPad on Disroot as they have a plugin for
the table of content (but it does not show automatically, you have to
activate it each time you open the pad, so it is not very user friendly).

So, using Hedgedoc on your server sounds like a very good idea :)

Link?

Cryptpad also would work, but we don't need all the crypto-features for
public meetings.

On a parallel topic:
the main Jitsi Meet server started asking for authentication of at least
one participant in the meeting. This would be more than ok, if it wasn't
that they only accept authentication via Google, Facebook or Github.

So maybe, additionally to the usual server in Argentina, we can start
using meet.guifi.net as fallback server?

> - Bringing attention to libremesh devs: I contacted konejo, and I
> thought (and that is a discussion, not a fact): libremesh developers
> should get paid for attending the community meeting; that's a way to
> ensure they appear there, that is also a way attract the interest of the
> project manager (or the person who manages their work) and then, a
> discussion could follow of matching altermundi's own needs with
> international community needs.

Technically is possible, we have donations money, we can use them for
paying people to attend meetings.

It sounds weird to me, but can be done. Rather, I would see logical that
Altermundi (I suppose that is Altermundi the association managing the
grants used for funding the developers) pays them for attending the
project meetings, participate in the Matrix/Element chat and mailing list.

Does anyone have experience in other open source projects which had to
deal with a mix of waged and volunteer work? How is that managed?

> That also enters a discussion on the date
> for the meeting. I think it is bad practice to be on weekend. Because
> weekends are in general, nice moments to make hikings, attend festivals,
> meet familiars/family/friends (and that matters specially if you reached
> 30 year old), and/or do a small disconnect from our busy week. So
> instead of discussing about weekend or not weekend timing (which
> exceptionally, few days a year, could be good idea for very-busy
> volunteers during the week), I would prefer to discuss on office vs no
> office hours during the week (definition: office = usually working hours
> in human labor), and what are the proper days for that

Sure, I can also join meetings at dinner time in Europe during weekdays
(e.g. from 20:30 to 21:30-22:00 European time), which in the Americas
would be late afternoon. For people in Asia it would be difficult to
attend, but additional meetings can be organized at different times.

We did a Framadate survey in October-November 2022, and Saturdays at
13UTC were the winning option, but I cannot recall whether we included
European after-dinner time between the options. So we can run another of
such surveys.
Pedro, are you up for running a new survey with some alternatives out of
the weekend?

Ciao!
Ilario

--