Re: [Hackmeeting] [TRANSLATION] Are translations from the t…

Author: igor absorto
To: hackmeeting
Subject: Re: [Hackmeeting] [TRANSLATION] Are translations from the talks/workshops expected?
Oie boyska,

Excerpts from boyska via Hackmeeting's message of July 22, 2022 11:12 pm:
> igor absorto:
>>Ciao,
>
> ciao!
>
>>absorto here, I'm planning to participate in the hackmeeting this year in
>>Torino. However I don't speak italian, although I can understand a bit
>>since I speak portuguese. Are there plans to provide translations during
>>the talks and workshops?
>
> Good question! I'll answer giving some historical context. I'm horrible
> with dates, so I hope I'm not making too many errors!
> I also never was so much involved with that, so please, whoever has more
> details, please correct me.
>
>   - non-italian-speaking people used to be quite few until, let's say,
>     2013. of course this was a vicious circle.
>   - there was quite some attention paid to making hackmeeting more
>     accessible to non-italian-speaking people from ~2016.
>     It never was a professional setup, but I remember it always improving
>     and becoming more "obvious" in the organization of hackmeeting.
>   - 2020 disrupted this. we need to start back!

> That was my understanding of the setup:
>
>   - people that don't understand italian very well (or at all) are
>     invited to say so, so that other people can support them

>   - everyone is invited to volunteer as a translator and clearly say so
>     to people that will most likely benefit from that

>   - periodically (daily assemblies, lunch time, etc.) people coordinate
>     about that. "I want to follow talk foo, could you translate
>     that to me?" or "Hey, I can speak English and Italian and I want to
>     follow the foobar talk, anyone needs translation?"

> It's clearly not perfect but at least most of the people can follow most
> of the talks, at least in the most common languages in this part of the
> world.
>
> We never created or used any "tool" (headphones, radio, microphones, or
> anything else) to do translations: the number of people per language
> per talk was not high enough to justify that.

The translation format you described is exactly what I was expecting/looking for.

Many thanks for your thoughtful response and the historical context as
well, this is very helpful.

I also want to share that someone wrote me off-list offering
help with translations, so this has great chances of working well ;)

See you in Turin,

--

7668 2EDA 36C8 5196 D7F1 A155 D008 F1F6 2A4F 42C0