Re: [Tails-dev] How to build tails for testing purposes?

Author: anonym
To: The Tails public development discussion list, Hans
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] How to build tails for testing purposes?
Hans:
> Yeah, yeah, sigh, it's me again....
>

> Now I am running into a new issue, but I believe, something external happened.
>

> For learning I removed all the downloaded things completely. Then I deleted also ~/.vagrant.d/ in my home and started from the beginning with a new git clone and a new, but unchanged build.

The proper way to reset and start over is to run: rake clean_all

> But now there is a new issue, related to vagrant. Please take a look at the last output.
>

> ---- snip ---------
>
> /tmp.debootstrap-gnupg-i9oekjha
> *==> box: Box file was not detected as metadata. Adding it directly...*
> *==> box: Adding box 'tails-builder-amd64-buster-20210710-de2318f3ae' (v0) for provider: *
>    box: Unpacking necessary files from: file:///space/tails-linux/tails-amd64/tails/tails-builder-amd64-buster-202
> 10710-de2318f3ae.box *==> box: Successfully added box 'tails-builder-amd64-buster-20210710-de2318f3ae' (v0) for 'libvirt'!*
> Bringing machine 'default' up with 'libvirt' provider... *==> default: Creating image (snapshot of base box volume).*
> Volume for domain is already created. Please run 'vagrant destroy' first.

The basebox in ~/.vagrant.d are unpacked and the virtual machine images imported by libvirt and stored somewhere else, hence the "already created" above.

List images with:

     virsh -c qemu:///system vol-list default

Detele with:

     virsh -c qemu:///system vol-delete --pool default VOLUME_NAME

So I suspect you will fix your issue with:

     virsh -c qemu:///system vol-delete --pool default tails-builder-amd64-buster-20210710-de2318f3ae_vagrant_box_image_0.img

> I wasa not lazy, and searched the web. vagrant destroy does not work, and vagrant global-status is telling me, there is no session running.

I believe you! Our documentation about this is a bit lacking, and naturally we'd be thrilled to receive your patches improving them! :)

OTOH, I don't think there was any good reason for you to start over like you did.

Good luck!