Re: [Tails-project] [Tails-dev] GitLab is now in production

Author: Cyril Brulebois
To: The Tails public development discussion list
CC: Public mailing list about the Tails project
Subject: Re: [Tails-project] [Tails-dev] GitLab is now in production
Hi,

intrigeri <intrigeri@???> (2020-05-29):
> This was announced to core contributors last week, let's now make this
> official: we've switched to GitLab!

   mmm                                       m             m
 m"   "  mmm   m mm    mmmm   m mm   mmm   mm#mm   mmm     #
 #      #" "#  #"  #  #" "#   #"  " "   #    #    #   "    #
 #      #   #  #   #  #   #   #     m"""#    #     """m    "
  "mmm" "#m#"  #   #  "#m"#   #     "mm"#    "mm  "mmm"    #
                       m  #
                        ""

> What was migrated
> =================
>
> We have migrated:
>
>  - all information that previously lived on Redmine,
>    such as issues, milestones, and user accounts

> - many, but not all, of our Git repositories

Right, I think half of my repositories had to stay the same (which
arguably shouldn't be the case for most contributors). The transition
was quite smooth though, and rather quick (even if manual).

> Known issues
> ============
>
>  - Updates to repositories used to build our website (tails.git and
>    any of its underlay repositories, such as mirror-pool.git) are not
>    automatically propagated to our production website. Only sysadmins
>    can manually propagate such updates.

>    So far I've been synchronizing tails.git's master branch to our
>    production website at least once a day. If you need anything beyond
>    that, ask me or tails-sysadmins@???.

Alright! That was my main concern 1 or 2 hours into my transitioned
Tails world, with an updated calendar that wasn't published, and the
apparent lack of git hook getting run when pushing. If that's expected,
all good.

But that means I'll have to sync with sysadmins when publishing the
release on Tuesday.

Unless something could be cronned to run at least every hour or
something like that? No pressure or absolute need, just thinking out
loud.

> Where to ask questions and report problems
>
> There are most certainly some rough edges, confusion, and bugs caused
> by this migration, so:
>
>  - If you have questions or trouble with the new *workflow*, please
>    either email <tails-dev@???> or attend one of the two "Ask Me
>    Anything" sessions I'll host on the tails-dev XMPP chatroom:

>     - Wednesday, June 3, 11:00-12:00 CEST
>     - Thursday, June 4, 16:00-17:00 CEST

I'll try and join the sessions, even if the first one seems early in the
day, and a little close to the 4.7 release.

The following items don't call for immediate replies, I'm merely
mentioning them right now as “food for thoughts”:

* On MRs: “Comment” vs. “Start thread” → maybe make “Start thread” the
default if that's possible?

* Probably for release managers mainly/only: How to massively
unsubscribe, and/or avoid auto-subscribing to issues when changing
metadata en masse? (Usual “move remaining issues to the next
milestone” step is likely the reason why I'm receiving bug mail for
many items I never touched.)

* Avoid link to create MR when pushing a main branch (e.g. stable):
There's a “Show link to create/view merge request when pushing from
the command line” setting but it seems global, rather than
per-branch…

Cyril 'kibi' Brulebois (ckb@???)