Re: [Tails-l10n] Problems with translated strings

Author: intrigeri
To: Tails localization discussion
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] Problems with translated strings
Hi,

scootergrisen (2020-03-14):
> I was told i had to review 1 string in "misc" ressource on Transifex in
> order to get a language into Tails.
>
> Now i finally managed to get 1 string reviewed and danish translation is
> back in Tails.
>
> But it seems not everything is included.
>
> I only reviewed 1 string.
> The string with "Tor is ready".
> I see the translation as expected in Tails.
>
> But the next string "You can now access the Internet." i did not review
> and i see the english source string for this in Tails instead of the
> translated string.
>
> So it would appear that only reviewed strings in misc gets into Tails
> and unreviewed does not.
>
> This was not the information i was given.
> I was told just to review 1 string.

I think there's been a misunderstanding.
I understand this can be frustrating for you.
I know this is a bit frustrating for me.

There are two aspects to this:

- Whether a language is proposed in Tails Greeter

Some months ago, you asked specifically how to get the Danish
language back in Tails Greeter; several of us answered that
1 reviewed string was sufficient, which is technically correct but
may have lead you to draw broader, incorrect conclusions. At that
time, I pointed you to the announcements for the other relevant
aspect (below); I realize I may not have been as clear as I should.

- Which exact string translations are exposed to our users

As announced in September 2019, we now only use reviewed strings:

https://lists.autistici.org/message/20190930.102822.4d8117c9.en.html
https://lists.autistici.org/message/20191010.093320.1640165f.en.html

> Now i will review all the strings in "misc" but this mean nobody else
> can change the strings which is unwanted.

Yep, that's a longstanding problem with Transifex.
I'm afraid we can't do much about it :/

Our best idea so far is to move these strings to our own
translation platform, once it's more robust and polished.
I expect we'll need quite some time to reach that point.

> This is not a good way to be a translator that it is so uncertain if
> translations will get into the software.

I understand that announcements on this mailing list are
not sufficient. I've added the missing info to the relevant doc page:

https://tails.boum.org/contribute/how/translate/with_Transifex/

I hope it'll help translators understand what translations are shipped
in Tails.

Cheers!