Re: [Tails-l10n] Include languages with 0 reviewed strings

Author: intrigeri
To: scootergrisen, Tails localization discussion
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] Include languages with 0 reviewed strings
Hi,

scootergrisen:
> I don't use the review function on Transifex on purpose because i think
> it just keeps me from improving strings when i join projects on
> Transifex and i want to correct a string but is unable to because it
> have been reviewed.

Thank you for explaining.
I understand this is discouraging from marking strings as reviewed.

Other Tails translators have faced similar issues with Transifex in
the past; xin probably remembers the details better than me, but IIRC,
for years they were not able to fix buggy translations due to this
exact problem, despite several communication attempts with the person
who was managing the Localization Lab / Tor bits in Transifex.

Corresponding technical/workflow limitations may still be there but at
least, it should be easier nowadays to reach out to the folks who can
unlock buggy translations so they can be improved. emma peel, what do
you think? Is this the kind of problems you're empowered to help fix?

Longer term, I believe our new translation platform¹ is not affected
by this specific problem. So we could solve this by managing
translations for tails.git:po/tails.pot in Weblate instead of
Transifex. I've taken note of this idea on
https://redmine.tails.boum.org/code/issues/17205. I have no idea how
much work that would take, nor what the drawbacks would be (apart, of
course, of the risk of losing the pool of Transifex translators).

[1] https://tails.boum.org/contribute/how/translate/with_translation_platform/