Re: [Tails-l10n] Include languages with 0 reviewed strings

Author: scootergrisen
To: intrigeri, Tails localization discussion
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] Include languages with 0 reviewed strings
Den 31-10-2019 kl. 19:44 skrev intrigeri:
> Hi,
>
> scootergrisen:
>> It seems danish translation is not included in Tails because of a new
>> rule that 1 string have to be reviewed in a certain ressource on Transifex.
>
> This seems to be the case, indeed.
>
>> I would like this rule to be removed so languages will be included in
>> Tails regardless of there being 1 reviewed string or 0 reviewed strings
>> for that langauge on Transifex.
>
> Note that the new algorithm is: only include reviewed strings. If we
> don't change it, what you're proposing boils down to: include PO files
> with 0 translations, which is probably not what you want :)
>
> So I guess you're rather proposing we rollback to including
> non-reviewed strings, as we did in the past.
> Did I understand correctly?

Yes.
It was not a good solution for danish language at least. I would guess
the same to be the case for other languages.

> If I did, then I'm not sure how to approach this. For what it's worth,
> the design goals behind this new algorithm included (explicitly or not):
>
> - Lower the number of languages proposed in the Greeter [sajolida]
>
>     sajolida, if you don't mind, I'll let you handle the fallout of
>     "in order to propose fewer languages, we had to remove some of
>     them; unsurprisingly it makes translators & users of these removed
>     languages unhappy".

>   - Increase the quality of the translations we ship in Tails
>     [intrigeri]

>     I've seen too many poor translations done on Transifex.
>     Poor translations lead to user confusion. User confusion leads to
>     wrong, and possibly dangerous, actions. Granted, the lack of
>     translation at all can have a similar impact, but at least the user
>     is aware that how well they understand English plays a role, while
>     they might trust messages appearing in their native language more.

>     What do you folks think?

>   - Don't allow an attacker to trivially include arbitrary strings of
>     their choosing in Tails [intrigeri]

>     I still care about this but I don't know much about Transifex, so
>     it might very well be that in practice, this barrier is meaningless
>     from a security point of view.

>     I'd like to be educated on this front.

> Cheers,

I don't use the review function on Transifex on purpose because i think
it just keeps me from improving strings when i join projects on
Transifex and i want to correct a string but is unable to because it
have been reviewed.