Re: [Tails-l10n] Include languages with 0 reviewed strings

Author: intrigeri
To: scootergrisen, Tails localization discussion
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] Include languages with 0 reviewed strings
Hi,

scootergrisen:
> It seems danish translation is not included in Tails because of a new
> rule that 1 string have to be reviewed in a certain ressource on Transifex.

This seems to be the case, indeed.

> I would like this rule to be removed so languages will be included in
> Tails regardless of there being 1 reviewed string or 0 reviewed strings
> for that langauge on Transifex.

Note that the new algorithm is: only include reviewed strings. If we
don't change it, what you're proposing boils down to: include PO files
with 0 translations, which is probably not what you want :)

So I guess you're rather proposing we rollback to including
non-reviewed strings, as we did in the past.
Did I understand correctly?

If I did, then I'm not sure how to approach this. For what it's worth,
the design goals behind this new algorithm included (explicitly or not):

- Lower the number of languages proposed in the Greeter [sajolida]

sajolida, if you don't mind, I'll let you handle the fallout of
"in order to propose fewer languages, we had to remove some of
them; unsurprisingly it makes translators & users of these removed
languages unhappy".

- Increase the quality of the translations we ship in Tails
[intrigeri]

I've seen too many poor translations done on Transifex.
Poor translations lead to user confusion. User confusion leads to
wrong, and possibly dangerous, actions. Granted, the lack of
translation at all can have a similar impact, but at least the user
is aware that how well they understand English plays a role, while
they might trust messages appearing in their native language more.

What do you folks think?

- Don't allow an attacker to trivially include arbitrary strings of
their choosing in Tails [intrigeri]

I still care about this but I don't know much about Transifex, so
it might very well be that in practice, this barrier is meaningless
from a security point of view.

I'd like to be educated on this front.