Re: [Tails-dev] Persistent storage creation accessibility is…

Author: intrigeri
To: Cory Samaha, tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Persistent storage creation accessibility issues with Orca
Hi Cory,

sorry for the delay…

Cory Samaha:
> I emailed the Orca screen reader list today with a query regarding
> the accessibility of the persistent storage volume creation tool.
> While I do see a bug that seems somewhat related on Redmine Bug
> #7503, it seems that this only refers to error messages.
> In contrast, I couldn’t get any portion of this tool to read with
> Orca, never mind the error messages.

Thanks for your report. I've updated our #7503 ticket so it now
reflects better the status quo. It's not easy to solve but we plan to
fix this next year, as part of porting Tails to Wayland.

> Also, while we are on the subject of Tails accessibility with Orca,
> I tried to use the auto update tool (I believe called senity) to
> update from 3.12 to 3.12.1. Unfortunately, this tool does not seem
> to read either.

Thanks again. I've reported this as #16685, which we'll fix at the
same time as the other problem.

> When trying to subvert the GUI and run
> tails-upgrade-frontend-wrapper from terminal, I did get
> a notification that an update was available, immediately followed
> by the text **WARNING **: Couldn't connect to accessibility bus.
> While it seemed that I could type “Upgrade now" or “Upgrade later”,
> it dumped me back into the graphical interface which, again, does
> not read with Orca.

Indeed, there's no way to interact with the Upgrader in a terminal :(

> I’m just trying to figure out if this is an issue with Orca or the
> way Tails is developed

It's due to poor design decisions I made while developing some parts
of Tails years ago.