Re: [Tails-testers] TAILS Failed to Start Second Time After …

Author: segfault
To: Tails list for early testers, llightening
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] TAILS Failed to Start Second Time After Upgrade to 3.13.1
Hi,

llightening@???:
> I recently updated TAILS to 3.13.1 through the automatic update prodedure.
> After booting up during to restart to install the update, it failed to
> show up as my USB drive when I tried to boot it again. The computer I am
> using is a Samsung All-In-One, with an quad-core Intel i5-3470T clocked at
> 2.9 GHz. System is 64 bit with 6GB of ram. The USB drive I am using is
> an 8GB Kingston Datatraveler (USB 3.0). I do not remember if the drive
> showed up or not, but I know it did not show up as it used to. The
> previously mentioned computer supports BIOS + UEFI. When I saw that it
> didn't show up (I already knew about the bug), I tried booting it on an
> older computer I had (it only supports BIOS boot), and it showed up just
> like normal. I booted into it and ran
>
> $ sgdisk --recompute-chs /dev/bilibop
>
> in a root terminal. After shutting down, it showed up just fine on my
> main machine, just like normal.
>
> I have fully fixed the issue, and I don't need any support, but I wanted
> to post my results to aid the developers in fixing this issue.

Thanks for the great report, that's really helpful!

Did you install this Tails device via the USB image or via the old
installation method (.iso and Tails Installer)?

Did you update from 3.13 to 3.13.1 or from an older version?

Did you restart Tails at least once between installing and updating it
(or did you update on the first boot after the installation)?

I'm asking all this because we expect the second boot issue to occur:
* Only for Tails devices installed via the USB image
* On the second boot after *installing* Tails from a USB image (updating
should not have any effect)

Cheers