Re: [Tails-testers] Call for testing: new set of fonts for n…

Author: intrigeri
To: Tails list for early testers
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] Call for testing: new set of fonts for non-Latin scripts (#15807, #9956)
Hi,

intrigeri:
> we would like to replace all locale-specific fonts with the Noto fonts
> collection, so we get better character coverage, smaller downloads and
> upgrades, and less work to maintain lists of fonts to install (which
> we've never managed to be good at yet).

This work was merged and will be part of Tails 3.14.

Now, I'll still be happy to take feedback into account, so this call
for testing is still valid:

> So, if you can read a language written in a non-Latin script,
> such as Chinese or Russian, please:

> 1. Download an experimental USB image from:

>      https://nightly.tails.boum.org/build_Tails_ISO_feature-15807-trimmed-and-consistent-l10n-support/lastSuccessful/archive/build-artifacts/

Instead use:

      https://nightly.tails.boum.org/build_Tails_ISO_stable/lastSuccessful/archive/build-artifacts/

… starting in 1 hour or so, once the filename in there contains
"20190413".

> 2. Install that USB image to an USB stick (this will erase the
>    content of that USB stick), using Etcher on Windows and macOS,
>    and GNOME Disks on Linux.

> 3. Start from that USB stick.

> 4. In the startup screen, choose a language written in a non-Latin
>    script that you can read.

> 5. Test character coverage and font rendering. Compare with Tails 3.13.1.

> 6. Report back.

Many thanks in advance!