[Tails-project] #14559: Have a permanent incentive to donate…

Author: sajolida
New-Topics: Re: [Tails-project] #14559: Have a permanent incentiveto donate on/home
Subject: [Tails-project] #14559: Have a permanent incentive to donate on /home
Here is proposal for a permanent incentive to donate on /home.
See attachment.

As it raised controversy at the summit, I'm sending my proposal here
before asking for a code review on Redmine. I'm also looking for someone
to review my HTML, CSS, and JS :)

The idea is to have a short message to encourage people to donate when
they open Tor Browser in Tails.

In the current implementation, the message would be displayed 1 every 5
times the page is loaded. My guess is that this will attract more
attention when the message is displayed while not bothering people too
much the rest of the time (80% of the time).

>From what I could analyze from the donation campaign so far, people are

donating fine from /home. The conversion rate from /donate to
/donate/thanks of people coming from /home is 4.0%, actually slightly
more than the overall conversion rate from /donate to /donate/thanks (3.7%).
I'll refine this analysis on #15963 once I'll have all the data.

In this branch, I'm also making more generic the mechanism that I used
for the VeraCrypt surveys to display messages randomly on /home. I'm
running the 2nd survey on VeraCrypt right now (to evaluate the results)
and people are still very responsive to such messages (~40 answers/day).

Does anybody has concerns regarding the proposed implementation?

Does anybody has suggestions on how to improve it?

--
sajolida