Re: [Tails-testers] wi-fi adapter

Author: Ron HulduNet - GM
To: Tails list for early testers
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] wi-fi adapter
On 2/22/19, sajolida <sajolida@???> wrote:

<...>

> I could identify better each of them searching for their USB ID on
> WikiDevi. I added links to their WikiDevi pages on the blueprint.

Cool.

> There you have information about the chipset.

<...>

>> EW-7811Un ?
>
> Yes.

<...>

> I like the trick of going from one adapter to another search for their
> chipset. Thanks for the tip!

No problem my friend ;-)

> Unfortunately, I don't think that any of these brands are easy to find
> in offline stores; which is what I would be really interested in :(

I'm thinking the need to have the availability of 'known-to-work' adapters
in offline stores would be:

1) Anonymity

2) Quick access

A bunch of cheapo WiFi USB adapters with supported chipsets is
available on fleebay (eBay), but to buy them, one need an account
on there, and a Paypal account or some kind of VISA card.
Prepaid VISA cards are available.

If one connects through Tor to eBay, sets up an account, and does
the same with Paypal, or uses a (prepaid?) VISA card , then
- closes the Tor browser (for cookies) , opens a new Tor circuit,
- or reboot Tails
to do other stuff.

WiFi cards can only be recognized by their MAC address , and only
for the first hop - the wireless router at whatever coffee shop or other
place one connects to, so tracing a WiFi card back to a transaction on
fleebay is more or less impossible.
There is also of course, MAC spoofing.

A lot of Chinese sellers sells the same kind of thumb size WiFi USB
cards, some of them have info regarding the chipset, and the ones
that hasn't usually comes back with info if asked.

I've been buying a lot of different cards there, and can give info regarding
chipsets if wanted.

Regarding offline availability - what geographic area are we talking about?
The US, Europe, China, and so on.

--
... faranno dei cimiteri le loro cattedrali e delle citta le vostre tombe.
"Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes."