Re: [Tails-testers] wi-fi adapter

Author: Ron HulduNet - GM
To: Tails list for early testers
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] wi-fi adapter
On 2/19/19, sajolida <sajolida@???> wrote:

> Ron HulduNet - GM:
>> sajolida <sajolida@???> wrote:
>>> Last year when I looked for *any* Wi-Fi adapter that was easily
>>> available and worked fine on Tails it happened to be much harder than I
>>> expected. From the first approximately 10 I bought, none worked.
>>
>> Do you have any info on what brand, model and revision you tried?
>
> Yes! The ones that I have but don't work are listed on this page:
>
> https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/wi-fi_adapters/
>
> (You have to scroll a bit to see the table...)

I see them.
If I could know what Hardware Version they are, I can tell
you what chipset they have.,

>>> Since then we were more lucky and we now have on the website a solid
>>> list of adapters that work fine, are super small, and easily available
>>> online.
>>
>> I've been looking on tails-boum-org for listing over cards known to be
>> working, but I haven't found it. Can you link to it?
>
> Oops, sorry about that! I thought you got in touch with us after seeing
> the list. It's here:

No, I got in touch after being on this mailing-list a bit and seeing
a few things I could assist with.

> https://tails.boum.org/doc/anonymous_internet/networkmanager/#wi-fi-adapters

I see the Edimax is listed with is its max network capability
(N150/N300/N600/N750/N900)
not by its model#.

As mentioned before, wikidevi has a -lot- of good info on
wireless adapters:

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Edimax

On Tails website, there's a "N150" listed. Could it possible be a
EW-7811Un ?

If so, it uses Realtek RTL8188CUS and this chipset is also used
by many other adapters.
In Linux, the important part is to find/know what chipset is has, and
then what driver it needs under Linux (and therefor Tails)

If the "N150" adapter is the EW-7811Un, it is identical with:

Edimax EW-7811GLn, EW-7811Un, EW-7811UWn, GWU-H811GLn

Airlink101 AWLL5088

Sitecom WL-365

GETNET GN-521U

>>> But we're still lacking good adapters that can be bought offline in
>>> brick-and-mortar stores. The brands I see the most offline are TP-Link,
>>> D-Link, and Linksys.
>>
>> Yes, and many different models by both TP_Link, D-Link and LinkSys
>> works fine, while other models does either not work "out of the box"
>> and require some extra steps, while some others do not work at all.
>
> Then I'd be very interested in learning about models of TP-Link, D-Link,
> and Linksys that work out-of-the-box.

As mentioned, wikidevi is a very good place to find this information.

When one knows some chipset that works, suddenly one has a lot
of different adapters (Brand / model) to chose from.