Re: [Tails-testers] wi-fi adapter

Author: sajolida
To: Tails list for early testers
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] wi-fi adapter
Ron HulduNet - GM:
> On 2/19/19, sajolida <sajolida@???> wrote:
>> Ron HulduNet - GM:
>>>
>>> Do you have any info on what brand, model and revision you tried?
>>
>> Yes! The ones that I have but don't work are listed on this page:
>>
>> https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/wi-fi_adapters/
>>
>> (You have to scroll a bit to see the table...)
>
> I see them.
> If I could know what Hardware Version they are, I can tell
> you what chipset they have.,

I could identify better each of them searching for their USB ID on
WikiDevi. I added links to their WikiDevi pages on the blueprint.

There you have information about the chipset.

>>> I've been looking on tails-boum-org for listing over cards known to be
>>> working, but I haven't found it. Can you link to it?
>>
>> Oops, sorry about that! I thought you got in touch with us after seeing
>> the list. It's here:
>
> No, I got in touch after being on this mailing-list a bit and seeing
> a few things I could assist with.

Ah, ok! :)

>> https://tails.boum.org/doc/anonymous_internet/networkmanager/#wi-fi-adapters
>
> I see the Edimax is listed with is its max network capability
> (N150/N300/N600/N750/N900)
> not by its model#.

I fixed that now.

> As mentioned before, wikidevi has a -lot- of good info on
> wireless adapters:
>
> https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Edimax
>
> On Tails website, there's a "N150" listed. Could it possible be a
> EW-7811Un ?

Yes.

> If so, it uses Realtek RTL8188CUS and this chipset is also used
> by many other adapters.
> In Linux, the important part is to find/know what chipset is has, and
> then what driver it needs under Linux (and therefor Tails)
>
> If the "N150" adapter is the EW-7811Un, it is identical with:
>
> Edimax EW-7811GLn, EW-7811Un, EW-7811UWn, GWU-H811GLn
>
> Airlink101 AWLL5088
>
> Sitecom WL-365
>
> GETNET GN-521U

I like the trick of going from one adapter to another search for their
chipset. Thanks for the tip!

Unfortunately, I don't think that any of these brands are easy to find
in offline stores; which is what I would be really interested in :(

Someday we'll find one...

--
sajolida