Re: [Tails-testers] tested usb direct version

Author: segfault
To: Tails list for early testers, T
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] tested usb direct version
Hi,

T:
> Well, I tried the usb-direct beta image on a dell xps 13" v9343
>   I found that it did not work, I looked at the suggestion (below) ...
> Not applicable as the boot attempt gave me "selected boot device failed. "
>    I could not make any change to the system at that point, I did try
> both legacy and uefi, neither worked
> I have an old lenovo thinkpad T61, it worked on it, I have a macbookpro
> from mid 2015, it worked.
>    I tryed several loaders, etcher (the new version linked on tails page
> comes with an advertisement, unlike the older version I already had), I
> also tried linux disks restore (first time I found disks to be better
> than gParted!)
>     they all worked to boot the lenovo, but none worked to boot the dell

Thanks for the report. Did you try different USB sticks? In order to
figure out if this is an error caused by the new USB image, could you
try installing Tails on the same USB stick via the old installation
method (https://tails.boum.org/install)? Please use the Tails 3.12
release candidate ISO for this:

dl.amnesia.boum.org/tails/alpha/tails-amd64-3.12~rc1/tails-amd64-3.12~rc1.iso

> Also, 2 other mysteries.   the partition size was usually 8.6gb (thanks
> for expanding that !!), but a couple tryes yielded a 1.2 gb partition
> for the tails system, secondarily, one of my attempts gave me a fully
> functioning tails 3.7 stick, which is weird as I have no .iso or .dmg of
> 3.7, have not run that version for at least half a year, and the stick I
> used to create it had recently been upgraded from 3.8 to 3.11  ...
> maybe it had traces of previous 3.7 on it somehow??    real mystery!!

Yeah that's strange, I have no idea what happened there.

Cheers