Re: [Tails-l10n] Dropping CSS formating for GUI documentatio…

Author: Muri Nicanor
To: tails-l10n
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] Dropping CSS formating for GUI documentation
Hi,

On 11/18/18 4:51 PM, sajolida wrote:
[...]
>>> For example:
>>>
>>> - <span class="application">Tails Installer</span>
>>>
>>> Would become:
>>>
>>> - *Tails Installer*
>>>
>>> I'm also interested in:
>>>
>>> - Whether it depends on your translation tools, for example, if PO Edit
>>> is affected in the same way as Weblate. They might be easier to
>>> translate on some tool than other or some tools might detect broken
>>> HTML.
>>
>> I haven't used weblate that much, so i'm not sure if its easier or
>> harder. At least in vim and poedit it doesn't make a difference. Poedit
>> allows to just copy the source string using a Ctrl+b and then modify it
>> and i see that weblate does the same with Ctrl+o- this make it easier,
>> because you can just ignore the html part (you don't have to copy it by
>> hand) and concentrate on the content.
>
> Ok, good to know.
>
> What about strings updates. For example, when you want to unfuzz a
> string I guess it's sometimes better to fix the string that is already
> translated without going back to a copy of the original string in
> English, right?

Maybe i'm a corner case, but for me its easier to start from the
beginning (after maybe reading the fuzzy translation, to have some idea
how it was translated before) than to try to fix the existing
translation. Mhm, actually, if i think about it, it depends- if its only
a word thats removed, i'll take the old string, if its something more
complex i'll rather do a new translation. So, you're right ;)
(For me the harder part of fuzzy strings is to find out what changed)

>>> - Hearing from how do this goes for the less technical of our
>>> translators. Say someone who doesn't otherwise know HTML. How frequent
>>> is it for newer translators to made mistakes on these?
>>>
>>> - Whether you think that Markdown instead of HTML would lower the error
>>> rates. Because I still want application names to display in italic :)
>>
>> are there even errors with html? i can not recall any...
>
> Your HTML can be invalid and they all kind of bads things can happen.
> There are some services to validate HTML for example:
>
>     https://validator.w3.org/

ah, yes, but i also can't recall any problems with validation so far-
but maybe i skipped those mails

cheers,
muri