Re: [Tails-l10n] Dropping CSS formating for GUI documentatio…

Author: intrigeri
To: Tails localization discussion
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] Dropping CSS formating for GUI documentation
sajolida:
> In install.mdwn there are 3 meta directives, 1 separated with an empty
> line and 2 without:

> https://git.tails.boum.org/tails/tree/wiki/src/install.html

> But in its PO file, the 3 are mixed up in a single msgid:

> https://git.tails.boum.org/tails/tree/wiki/src/install.fr.po

Can you please confirm that this does *not* happen with Markdown
source files?

> Do you think it would be worth opening a ticket to fix this in the PO
> plugin? I've seen Tails contributors working on ikiwiki lately :)

The ikiwiki PO plugin fully delegates string extraction to po4a.
po4a has some support for ikiwiki directives: [[!bla]].
For implementers: look for "macro" in Locale/Po4a/Text.pm.
So I guess this problem only exists for HTML source files.

I guess it's doable to add similar support to po4's HTML string
extractor, guarded by an opt-in option that the ikiwiki PO plugin
could then enable.

Meanwhile, what we can do is to ensure our HTML files convey what we
mean… in HTML semantics (where a mere linebreak is meaningless):
isolate *semantically* any line of text that we think of as logically
separated from the surrounding lines. See e.g. commit 003ed55 where
I did this. I doubt this can work for the kind of [[!meta]] directives
that end up in <head> though but it's worth trying :)