Re: [Tails-testers] Test 3.9~rc1

Author: segfault
To: Tails list for early testers, flowa
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] Test 3.9~rc1
Hi,

thanks for your comprehensive report!

flowa:
> Veracrypt:
> - Tried to open a 4 GB Veracrypt partition from a separate USB-Stick (created with Windows).
>
> I unlocked the drive via "Unlock Veracrypt Volumes", via "Disks" or via "Files", all lead to the same results. After entering the VC password, an error message appears: Error waiting for cleartext object after unlocking /dev/sdh.

That is a known issue (https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/15733), which
I thought was already fixed for 3.9~rc1, but apparently I forgot. It
should be fixed in 3.9.

> Meanwhile, a new Block Device shows up in Disks, named e.g. /dev/mapper/tcrypt-2160.
> When I mount this new device via Disks, the admin password is requesteds.

It's also a known issue that sometimes an admin password is requested,
but we don't yet know what the cause of that is. It's tracked on
https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/15757. It would be interesting to
know whether the admin password is still requested when the "Error
waiting for cleartext object" error is fixed. Unfortunately there is no
plan to release another ISO for testing before the release of 3.9, so I
don't know how you could easily test this :/

> - The flag "Hidden volume" in program "Unlock Veracrypt Volumes" has no effect.

Ouch! I can reproduce this, although I was sure that I already fixed it.
I will look into it in time for 3.9. Ticket:
https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/15843

> Tor Browser:
> - Click on onion icon doesn't show Tor circuit anymore

That is because in Tor Browser 8 the Tor circuit display was moved to
the identity box, see
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-qa/2018-June/000942.html.

> - Click on onion icon/menu "Check for Tor Browser Update" has no effect

We don't support updating Tor Browser like this. This should probably be
removed from the Torbutton menu, I created a ticket for it:
https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/15840

> - Tor Browser sends user agent string to web server "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0". In contrast to Tails 3.8, that reports a Windows computer: "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0"

That was also changed in Tor Browser 8, see
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/26146.

> Multimedia:
> - Playing videos (MP4, MKV) or audios (MP3) with "Videos" plays audio
> for about 10 seconds and then stops. No video visible. Computer freezes
> during that time.

I can't reproduce this. I tested MP4, MKV and MP3, and all work without
problems for me. I created a ticket:
https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/15842

Cheers