Re: [Tails-testers] Veracrypt PIM and PKCS in Tails

Author: sajolida
To: Tails list for early testers
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] Veracrypt PIM and PKCS in Tails
segfault:
> Hi,
>
> Alan Hiew:
>> I tried to use Tails Betta with Veracrypt support. But I couldn't mount
>> a hidden Veracrypt volume with specified Volume PIM and PKCS-5 PRF.
>
> Specifying the PIM will only be supported in Tails 4.0. If you are
> interested in the details: The PIM setting is only supported in
> cryptsetup since cryptsetup version 2.0. Tails is currently based on
> Debian Stretch, which ships cryptsetup 1.7.3. So the PIM will be
> supported when Tails is based on Debian Buster (i.e. Tails 4.0).
>
>> In Veracrypt itself I can mount it, but in VeraCrypt integrated in
>> Tails is no Volume PIM and PKCS-5 PRF options. And volume created with
>> these can't be unlocked by correct password only...
>
> Yes, I'm sorry that you won't be able to use the new VeraCrypt support
> with your volume until Tails 4.0.

I didn't know that!

I guess it still makes sense to upstream the PIM support in GNOME and
that we can't have a special treatment for that in the code in Tails.

Still, the least we could do is to mention this limitation in the doc as
I expect it to become a frequent question to our help desk. After all,
our UI pretends that it works...

So shall I add a "bug" section to the "Unlocking parameters" section of
the doc saying that PIM will only be supported in Tails 4.0?

--
sajolida