Re: [Tails-testers] VeraCrypt

Author: sajolida
To: Tails list for early testers, sarooney
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] VeraCrypt
Stuart Rooney:
> I am not a Tails pro; just an average user.

Hi Stuart,

Thanks a lot for reporting about your tests of our VeraCrypt beta!

> I had never taken the downloaded
> ISO to a USB stick directly before. For manual updates, I always burned the
> ISO to a DVD and then cloned the system to my USB stick from the DVD. That
> way I had a backup if the stick ever failed.

That makes sense :)

> Unfortunately, when I formatted
> my new 32 GB USB stick, I encrypted it. I am not able to make the system
> load to that stick and I cannot get the encryption off it to test.

To test our VeraCrypt beta, I suggest you burn the test ISO image to a
DVD like you usually do for manual upgrades. If that works for
upgrading, it will work for the test ISO image.

> My
> VeraCrypt files are all very large and would not fit on an 8 GB stick. I did
> have an old 8 GB stick I could use and I formatted it without encryption. I
> was able to move the system onto that stick but I cannot load my VeraCrypt
> files there as they are too large. If you can tell me how to get the
> encrypted 32 GB stick unencrypted or get the system to load to an encrypted
> stick, I will complete my testing. I tried reformatting the encrypted stick
> but that did not work for me.

I'm not sure to understand what you mean by that... It seems like you
tried to encrypt the Tails system (ie. the full USB stick).

If I understand correctly, what made you think that this was possible?

You should instead start from the test ISO image either from a DVD (like
you do for upgrades), either from your old 8 GB stick (if you managed to
install the test ISO image on it).

>From there, you should try to open your VeraCrypt files from where they

are usually located. Where are your VeraCrypt files located? On your
internal hard disk? On an external hard drive?

--
sajolida