Re: [Tails-testers] Call for testing: upgraded graphics stac…

Author: alienpup
To: tails-testers, intrigeri
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] Call for testing: upgraded graphics stack and nouveau driver
intrigeri wrote:

> Hi,
>
> intrigeri:
>
>     I need your help to evaluate the benefits that would come with
>     upgrading the graphics stack and the nouveau driver in Tails.
>     Excluding download time, worst case the whole process should take you
>     about half an hour. In most cases it should take about 10 minutes.
>

> Two weeks later, I've received:
>
> - 3 reports that tell me there's no regression nor improvement
> - 1 report that tells me there's a minor improvement
>
> That's not enough for me to feel confident we can ship this without
> breaking Tails on lots of hardware. So please, follow the test
> instructions linked below :)
>
>     So, to start with please download:
>

>      - Tails 3.7.1
>

> Please now use 3.8 instead. The rest of the instructions are
> unchanged:
>
>   https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-testers/2018-June/001018.html
>
> Cheers,

Desktop system tested: CompuLab Fitlet (a.k.a Mintbox)

$ lspci -d: :0300 -nn
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Mullins [Radeon R3E Graphics] [1002:9854] (rev 02)

Results with both Tails 3.8 release and tails-amd64-bugfix_15116-newer-nouveau-xorg-driver-3.9-20180629T0441Z-43a8cb3776+devel@???;

no added boot parameter:  no regressions
w/ nouveau.modeset=0:  no regressions
w/ nouveau.noaccel=1:   no regressions

Laptop system tested: Lenovo Thinkpad T410

$ lspci -d: :0300 -nn
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0046] (rev 02)

Results with Tails 3.8 release:

no added boot parameter:  no regressions, full brightness at boot issue continues
w/ nouveau.modeset=0:  no regressions, full brightness at boot issue continues
w/ nouveau.noaccel=1:   no regressions, full brightness at boot issue continues

Results with tails-amd64-bugfix_15116-newer-nouveau-xorg-driver-3.9-20180629T0441Z-43a8cb3776+devel@???;

no added boot parameter:  no regressions, full brightness at boot issue is resolved
w/ nouveau.modeset=0:  no regressions, full brightness at boot issue is resolved
w/ nouveau.noaccel=1:   no regressions, full brightness at boot issue is resolved

Thanks,
alienpup