[Tails-dev] Verification extension [was: HTML prototype for …

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list, Uzair Farooq, Muhammad Usman Subhani
Subject: [Tails-dev] Verification extension [was: HTML prototype for new download page]
sajolida:
> Uzair Farooq:
>>> Hey, we checked the forge library (the one they listed as the fastest in
>>> their benchmark). To my surprise it improved the time darastically. It took
>>> a little more than 1 minute on a core i3 machine with 4GB RAM.
>
> Amazing! I tried on my laptop (Core i5 M520) and it took 45 seconds.
> Not as good as the native call we had on the previous version of the
> extension but clearly acceptable given the current limitations.
> Congrats!!!
>
> So I did more tests and here are some comments and questions:
>
> - Would it be complicated to add a progress bar? ~1 minute is a decent
> time to wait in this context, but I'm afraid that many people will
> wonder what's going on if we give them no feedback on how long to
> wait. The previous version integrated the download and was so fast
> that feedback on the checksum calculation itself was not needed. But
> here I would like to tell a bit more about what to expect. A progress
> bar would solve this, but otherwise I can also put a spinner and give
> a rough time estimate.
>
> - In my HTML mock-up I meant $FILENAME to be something that your
> extension would replace with the filename of the ISO image.
> See screenshot in attachment. Is this possible?
>
> - In Giorgio's version we had some JavaScript code to detect the browser
> and display an appropriate version of the page. See [1]. I'll try to
> integrate it in the new version but I might ask you for help if I get
> stuck :)
>
> [1]:
> https://git-tails.immerda.ch/tails/tree/wiki/src/install/inc/js/dave.js
>
> - We need a mechanism to notify when the extension needs update. See
> "extension-version" in the HTML code of the current download page [2]
> and in Giorgio's code.
>
> [2]: https://tails.boum.org/install/download/
>
> I see no reference to "extension-version" in your code so I think that
> this is not implemented yet. Can you have a look and provide us with a
> way of testing that it's working fine once you have this feature back?
>
> - Your extension displays an icon in the URL bar. See attachment. Is it
> a requirements with WebExtensions? Because as this icon otherwise
> doesn't do anything when click, if it's possible to hide I would
> prefer.
>
> - Is your code already working on Chrome? How can we test that?
>
> - In scripts/background/background.js it seems like you are activating
> the extension on https://tails.boum.org/install/download_2/ but:
>
> - This URL is bound to change once we release the extension.
> - The extension should be activated on several pages, for example:
>
>     - https://tails.boum.org/install/win/usb
>     - https://tails.boum.org/install/debian/usb

> In Giorgio's code we were using a div id #download-and-verify
> instead, so that the extension could be activated on multiple pages.
> Could we go back to doing something like this instead? If that works
> [...]

^ Ping on all this.

Today is Friday and we're now less than 2 weeks away from Firefox 57 so
I'm still afraid that if we continue advancing at the same pace we'll
miss the deadline :/

Uzair: When do you think you will be able to answer to the comments I
sent on Monday?

anonym: When will you have a closer look at the code and probably
request some adjustment to Uzair? Any update on the ops around the
release of the extension(s)?

On my side, this week I added back the browser detection code
(dc65945c0e) and started integrating the new download page in our set of
installation instructions (web/14630-adjust-to-new-verification-extension).

It's quite tricky but I think that I'll have something to send over to
Cody for review over the week-end. Then I'll still have a bunch of work
on polishing the visual of the new page but I can do that last, after
all the rest is integrated and working fine.