Re: [Tails-dev] Substitute Tor-launcher with Anon-Connection…

Author: anonym
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Substitute Tor-launcher with Anon-Connection-Wizard in Tails?
anonym:
> intrigeri:
>>  * it integrates nicely in a GNOME desktop (e.g. in terms of HIG ⇒
>>    consistent UI & UX).

I did a quick and dirty test:

    git clone https://github.com/Whonix/anon-connection-wizard
    git clone https://github.com/Whonix/python-guimessages
    sudo env XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=GNOME PYTHONPATH=/home/amnesia/anon-connection-wizard/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/:/home/amnesia/python-guimessages/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/ /home/amnesia/anon-connection-wizard/usr/bin/anon-connection-wizard

which starts a-c-w (but actually configuring Tor fails, which I expected). GNOME integration is currently not great:

* the fonts are very small (and perhaps blurrier?). FTR, I observe the same in Electrum.
* Qt GUI elements (e.g. buttons) are fairly different than the GTK ones.

My hope is that we could improve this with something like qt5-gtk-platformtheme, or perhaps themes like QGnomePlatform and adwaita-qt.

This initial testing also tells me that there are quite some Whonix-specific stuff going on, so a-c-w will not be a drop-in-replacement, but require some substantial modification. I'll have a closer look next week, hopefully.

> Well, unless I'm mistaken the alternative (the new Tor Launcher) will be in the same situation (non-native, but probably using GTK somehow in the end), so I think it would be unfair to treat a-c-w any different. Needless to say, I want it to look no worse than Tor Launcher currently does, so I don't think there's any disagreement. :)

I take this back: (the old) Tor Launcher looks really nicely integrated in GNOME.

Cheers!