Re: [Tails-dev] Substitute Tor-launcher with Anon-Connection…

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Substitute Tor-launcher with Anon-Connection-Wizard in Tails?
hi,

anonym:
>> intrigeri:
>>>  * it integrates nicely in a GNOME desktop (e.g. in terms of HIG ⇒
>>>    consistent UI & UX).

> I did a quick and dirty test:

[...]

> which starts a-c-w (but actually configuring Tor fails, which I expected). GNOME integration is currently not great:

> * the fonts are very small (and perhaps blurrier?). FTR, I observe the same in Electrum.
> * Qt GUI elements (e.g. buttons) are fairly different than the GTK ones.

> My hope is that we could improve this with something like
> qt5-gtk-platformtheme, or perhaps themes like QGnomePlatform and
> adwaita-qt.

Thanks for trying and reporting back!

FWIW toolkit and visual rendering matters are important, but only
a subset of what I meant with desktop integration / HIG / consistent
UI & UX. I'm confident we can easily fix the widgets & fonts via
purely technical means, but the HIG part is about GUI *design*:

https://developer.gnome.org/hig/stable/

Now, of course I agree that we should not hold a-c-w to a higher
standard than the future Tor Launcher in this respect.

My point here is to highlight this important criterion while it's
still time to adjust the design, rather than at a latter time when
developers might be more defensive since they consider the new thing
as finished ;)

Cheers!