Re: [Tails-dev] Substitute Tor-launcher with Anon-Connection…

Author: anonym
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Substitute Tor-launcher with Anon-Connection-Wizard in Tails?
iry:
> anonym:
>> All this looks promising, so to answer your question whether we're
>> interested: yes! :)
>
> Hi anonym! That sounds awesome!
>
>> I haven't looked at this in detail yet (from what I saw so far I
>> think some people will be sad over it using Qt instead of GTK),
> Just in case you, or anyone else are interested in the details of it,
> here is some links:
>
> The details of the code can be found here:
> https://github.com/irykoon/anon-connection-wizard
>
> The details of the development discussion can be found here:
> https://forums.whonix.org/t/graphical-gui-whonix-setup-wizard-anon-conne
> ction-wizard-technical-discussion/650/303

Thanks!

>> but I've made a note that we might want to switch directly to it
>> instead of the new Tor Launcher now in November:
>> https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/14555
> Thank you so much for your work!
>
> I have watched this ticket

Cool! If we pick a-c-w that ticket will likely be rejected, and I'll open a new one about a-c-w but I'll do my best to add you as a watcher to that and related tickets in that case.

> and please let me know if there is anything I can help with!

I'd like to know how you feel about extending a-c-w so it deals with the network connection setup as well, as I have alluded to before [1]. I could imagine this benefiting from switching to a plugin architecture, where plugins correspond to pages in the wizard. Example: those wanting a-c-w to act as Tor Launcher would only load those plugins, but in Tails (and Whonix?) we'd also load the network connection setup plugin, the MAC spoofing plugin, and a Tails-specific "Congrats, your Tails is connected to Tor! Here are some recommendations of what to do next..." plugin that only we ship, or something like that.

As for a larger collaboration, I could see us in Tails providing UX insight and GUI design work, and coding if necessary (although I'm sure you're eager to be the main developer, which would be perfect for us :)). Whonix and Tails could apply for funding together (increased probability of acceptance) to have us paid for doing this work and pay for UX research, user testing etc. Note that this is just *my* vague vision, and I have no clue how the rest of the Tails crew feels about it. :)

What do you think?

[1] https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/network_connection/

> Btw, these two links maybe useful on network connection blue print
> page: https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/network_connection/
>
> At Tor:
> Tor UX team's design of new Tor launcher: https://marvelapp.com/3f6102d
>
> At Whonix:
> The old blog post link may can be replaced by this one:
> https://forums.whonix.org/t/graphical-gui-whonix-setup-wizard-anon-conne
> ction-wizard-technical-discussion/650/303

Thanks! I've added/changed these.

Cheers!