Re: [Tails-dev] Substitute Tor-launcher with Anon-Connection…

Author: anonym
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Substitute Tor-launcher with Anon-Connection-Wizard in Tails?
iry:
> Hi Tails developers!
>
> Several months ago, anonym and I had a discussion about the future of
> anon-connection-wizard on the @tor-dev[0], where he said:
>
>> [snip]

Thanks for picking up this again!

> Now, though there are still a lot of improvements can be done,
> anon-connection-wizard is mature enough to be integrated into the
> upcoming Whonix14.

Congrats!

> Therefore, I am wondering if Tails community still consider it as a
> good idea to replace Tor-launcher with anon-connection-wizard when it
> is mature enough?
>
> Apart from what has been pointed out by anonym above, the following is
> some information that may be helpful for your decision:
>
> - Here is a recent post introducing anon-connection-wizard which also
> contains a set of screenshots of it[1]
> - the anon-connection-wizard UI is basing on Linda’s PET paper[2] and
> Tor UX team’s proposal[3] to new Tor-launcher.
> - although anon-connection-wizard has not been packaged into Debian
> repository, all its dependencies are already available in Debian
> - The future goal of anon-connection-wizard is to be packaged as a
> generic standalone application into Debian so that it can be used by
> different anonymity focused distributions like Whonix and Tails
> - anon-connection-wizard do not assume user has a Tor or Firefox
> browser to use, which is a low-coupling design

All this looks promising, so to answer your question whether we're interested: yes! :) I haven't looked at this in detail yet (from what I saw so far I think some people will be sad over it using Qt instead of GTK), but I've made a note that we might want to switch directly to it instead of the new Tor Launcher now in November: https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/14555

Cheers!