Re: [Tails-ux] Intercept interviews from Brazil

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-ux
New-Topics: Re: [Tails-ux] Intercept interviews from Brazil
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Intercept interviews from Brazil
Hi,

Bernard Tyers:
> (First time poster, I've been lurking for a while)

Welcome aboard!

> I've noticed in the "intercept interview" definition there isn't
> a mention of getting participant consent. Is it mentioned
> somewhere else?

> It's important to get consent from participant when giving specific
> information about them.

> This is invisible and often overlooked but it is very valuable in
> building empathy with the interview participant.

> It is the interviewer saying "you, the participant, are in control".

Absolutely. The HOWTO section on
https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/intercept_interviews/
reads "You can answer my questions to the extend that you feel
comfortable and stop at any moment", and before publishing the
interview we explicitly ask (and wait) for the user's consent.

Please let us know if you think it's not good enough. Rephrasing / new
sentences would be welcome :)

> About specifying detail, when I interview people, unless the detail
> is important I "fuzz" this kind of detail.

> E.g. instead of saying "Bernard is 28 years old and lives in Brazil"
> I transcribe "Participant 8 is male, aged 25-30 and lives in a South
> American country."

OK, thanks for the insight. I'm totally new at this exercise, so I've
leaned towards not losing data too early (that I might realize later
is important). But I'm learning, what you're saying makes sense to me,
and indeed I can't think of good reasons why "28 years old" is very
useful compared to "25-30", so I'll follow your recommendation next
time :)

sajolida, if you agree, let me know and I'll make this clear in the
doc + will edit my first set of interviews accordingly.

> Also, just curious, what questions did you want to answer with
> this interview?

Personally, as a developer, I wanted to better understand who is using
Tails and why. I'm always learning something interesting out of it,
use cases I had never thought about, issues I was not aware of, etc.
Given how much I lack such info usually, any bit of (qualitative) data
is useful.

But I didn't initiate nor design this process myself, so I think
sajolida can better answer this question :)