Re: [Tails-ux] Improve Tails Installer UX

Author: Susan
To: Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Improve Tails Installer UX
It is hard for me to weigh in on the label when I still don't know what the thing is for sure. My guess would be that ISO is International Standards Organization and that this label is not telling me what the image contains but rather that it's in a particular format. I am not sure how useful knowing the format may be. Like "Open Blue Book compliant CD-ROM" or "Use can opener to open can?" So if that's the case, I would need information about why I might want to do that, such as a few common use cases, in the Help text also.

"Use downloaded Tails image" or something like that? "Download latest Tails image and install"? Given what Thomas said, I wonder if it's more generic in usage, more about format and tool than contents. If I am just encountering the term in my USB stick situation, I don't know if I've also downloaded something that I could install. What if I did not do that step yet?

I think providing a link to the installation instructions in this help text makes a lot of sense.

The (?) icon is the way to go.

Help links are best placed before fields and actions, right after labels, because then screen readers offer the help right after the question occurs to the user and before the decision point is read to the user.

If possible, display the help in place, rather than taking the user off track. If that isn't feasible, opening a browser window with the particular bit of applicable help may be the next best bet.

Enable click to display, even if rollover is an option too, for touch devices.

I don't know the best way to offer supplemental help to screen readers.

I did see this resource yesterday though, which may have some useful a11y codepen patterns:
http://a11yproject.com/patterns/

Susan