Re: [Tails-project] some stats on the website

Author: sajolida
Subject: Re: [Tails-project] some stats on the website
u:
>> This can include e.g. a video tour that would demystify the whole
>> thing and explain it's not *that* hard, having Tails pre-installed on
>> consumer devices that would allow more people to try it out without
>> having to _first_convince themselves that they are actually able to do
>> so, or whatever relevant onboarding website/documentation improvement
>> (e.g. our "Getting started" page could certainly provide a warmer and
>> more welcoming feeling).
>
> That's exactly what I thought when I started reading this email!
>
> Different people have proposed to work on such a video in the past but
> it never came to any conclusion.

Are you referring to #6387 or #9817?

#6387 has been discussed several times in the past, but seeing how the
work on the assistant went (its complexity and the results), I'm not
interested in working on this myself as such a video would duplicate too
much of the instructions we already have in the assistant for me to find
it exciting.

#9817 comes from a discussion I had with Nima Fatemi from the Tor
animation about 1.5 year ago. I'm very interested in working on this,
but too me it requires a good share of previous reflection on what need
to be in there, why, whatelse should be changed in the way we present
Tails on the website. That's part of #9814 and on the roadmap for
2016-2017 [1] and, for me, should definitely involve money (as for
example, I'm not sure we have the skill in-house to build such a video).

[1]: https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/roadmap_2016-2017/

Still, I clearly won't have time to work on this seriously in 2016 myself.

> There are installation videos on
> Youtube, but nothing running on Mac for example.
> So I'd now like to propose to do this with some of you - if anybody else
> is interested. We can try to define collectively what exactly should be
> in this video. What do you think?

"Installation videos" sounds more like #6387 and I won't spend time on
this myself.