Re: [Hackmeeting] Talk proposal: FIREFUND

Author: Null
To: hackmeeting
Subject: Re: [Hackmeeting] Talk proposal: FIREFUND
On 2016-05-20 20:45, Berat wrote:
> Hi Karl!
>
> This talk seems to me very interesting and i'm sure there will be many
> interested people at Pisa!
>
> My only concern is that, testing your platform with the donations for
> hackmeeting, maybe something that should be discussed with the
> community.

Definitely something that should be discussed with the community.

And discussed very carefully before taking any decisions

I, for one, am contrary to the use of Firefund and similar tools for the
hm event, and here are some of my reasons
1) I don't think further funding is a priority, considering the current
state of the hm event/community
2) As far as I know, until a community can communicate well enough, an
increase in funding can do more harm then good
3) As far as I know, increase in funding, especially if external
funding, usually has negative side-effects (on the relations, on the
priorities, on the dynamics, ...)
4) I don't want to feed the flow of participants and supporters of hm
fed into a a web-facing platform, or into any machine (we already have
this mailing list and other tools for that purpose, anyway :) ->
semi-ironic and with respect to the people providing the tools because
it is fundamental to communicate even with tracking and all)
5) The software testing methodologies, the software quality, etc.
6) The web-ification of all software, what is happening the the
protocols, the application-level taking over, etc. The importance of
differentiating between localhost and typing your data into someone
else's computer (what I am doing now)
7) We have had bad experiences with trusting people with running tools
ad hoc for the event (I seem to recall a logging proxy?)
8) Because there is not enough time to do this well
9) Because it is hard to decide such a thing all together
10) This community is complex to interact with, so you should take much
time and have careful respect for its peculiarities
11) I don't think we really need that tool now

Thank you for your interest,

Null