Re: [Tails-dev] Detecting hidden partitions?

Author: Austin English
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Detecting hidden partitions?
On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 4:45 PM, intrigeri <intrigeri@???> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> (reordered due to top-posting)
>
> Austin English wrote:
>>> I would try to help, but I don't know what you mean with "hidden
>>> partitions" exactly. Could you please clarify how this translates into
>>> non-ambiguous technical concepts?
>
>> This is for https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/11137, trying to any
>> partitions that are listed in the partition table.
>
> Missing word?

Yes, 'detect':
This is for https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/11137, trying to
detect any partitions that are listed in the partition table.

> IMO for #11137, checking the content of the Tails system partition
> is enough, so no need to check for "hidden" partitions. But if you
> want to:
>
>> I used a hidden FAT32 partition for testing:
>> 1g.img2         206848  227327   20480   10M 1b Hidden W95 FAT32

>> my other thought was checking the Partition ID, unless someone knows a
>> better way.
>
> OK.
>
> Is this about detecting partitions whose type is "Hidden W95 FAT32"?
>
> Or is it any broader?

It was not my original idea, it was originally proposed here:
https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-dev/2016-February/010303.html

Though I'm considering dropping that portion of the idea because there
is a lot of confusion about it. I'm not sure what exactly is
desired/requested, or how to find the information needed to detect
these partitions properly and being put in a position to defend those
decisions is not a place I like being.

--
-Austin