Re: [Tails-dev] w32codecs [Was: dconf-editor dropped, gedit-…

Author: Austin English
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] w32codecs [Was: dconf-editor dropped, gedit-plugins, systemd, w32codecs]
On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 12:20 PM, intrigeri <intrigeri@???> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> (splitting into a dedicated subthread, and reordering top-posted reply.)
>
> Austin English wrote:
>>>
>>> Don't hesitate elaborating if you think it's worth it :)
>
>> Well, as emmapeel said when libdvdcss originally was discussed:
>> "I think access to culture is a very important right for people, and I
>> would be happy that Tails helps to make access to restricted/corporate
>> culture more easy, providing a framework to criticize it and create
>> their own."
>
> I see a bunch of .dll files in the w32codecs tarball I got (there
> seems to be various flavours of it, so it might be that we're not
> talking of the same thing; in which case it would be nice to specify
> more clearly what exactly is being proposed for inclusion).

I hadn't seen that before. This is a low priority for me, my concern
is that .wmv / .wma files may not be usable under tails currently
(unverified), and if that were the case, I'd like to see if that's
fixable. I have not had a chance to see if that is the case, and if it
is, what packages fixes it, but I'll be sure to check that they aren't
running windows binaries.

> I am sensitive to the "access to culture" argument up to a point, but
> including closed-source binary code that runs on the main CPU is quite
> far beyond that point; to be clear, it's in veto-land for me.

Ack.

--
-Austin