Re: [Tails-dev] Detecting hidden partitions?

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Detecting hidden partitions?
Hi,

Austin English wrote (24 Mar 2016 22:33:18 GMT) :
> On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 4:45 PM, intrigeri <intrigeri@???> wrote:
>> IMO for #11137, checking the content of the Tails system partition
>> is enough, so no need to check for "hidden" partitions. But if you
>> want to:
>>
>>> I used a hidden FAT32 partition for testing:
>>> 1g.img2         206848  227327   20480   10M 1b Hidden W95 FAT32

>>> my other thought was checking the Partition ID, unless someone knows a
>>> better way.
>>
>> OK.
>>
>> Is this about detecting partitions whose type is "Hidden W95 FAT32"?
>>
>> Or is it any broader?

> It was not my original idea, it was originally proposed here:
> https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-dev/2016-February/010303.html

> Though I'm considering dropping that portion of the idea because there
> is a lot of confusion about it. I'm not sure what exactly is
> desired/requested,

Fully understood. I'm not sure either. Unless Spencer clarifies the
idea, someone else (you?) needs to research the topic and propose
something that translates "hidden partitions" into something that can
be implemented.

> or how to find the information needed to detect
> these partitions properly

FTR I'm happy to help with that, if we keep this idea, once it is
clearer what exactly we are trying to detect.

> and being put in a position to defend those
> decisions is not a place I like being.

My intention was not to attack what you were trying to do, but to try
and understand it, so I could help answer the specific technical
questions you were asking. Apparently I failed at that, and instead
I've contributed to create bad feelings. I'm sorry about that :/