Re: [Tails-l10n] (discuss)[de] Tails installer: inline pages

Author: flapflap
To: tails-l10n
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] (discuss)[de] Tails installer: inline pages
spriver:
> Hi,
> thanks for reviewing. I liked your change from "letztendlich" to
> "endgültig". Muri and me used "letztendlich" quite often in the

I also thought about "letztendlich" a bit and I'm not quite sure why I
picked "endgueltig" then. I think both are semantically ok, though,
"endgueltig" sounded somehow nicer to me.

> Installation assistant, so I'll put this on my To-Do list to change this
> at all places we used it yet? (ofc if the others agree ;) )

Probably another thing to track is
"Tails [unter win/linux/...] auch *einem* USB-Stick installieren"
*einem* should be *einen* (i.e. accusative instead of dative case), if
I'm not mistaken.

Another change that could affect more pages is "zwischenzeitlich" ->
"vorübergehend". If I'm doing a reverse translation de->en, I'd
translate it as "meanwhile/in the meantime" -> "transient", where IMHO
the latter is closer to "intermediate".
I understand the sentences as "we need to install a Tails that will be
deleted/not needed in the long run and the second Tails is the one you
actually want to use". Literally, "zwischenzeitlich" means "between two
points in time" and "voruebergehend" means sth like "passing" or
"preliminary". I think both words are possible, for example, the
intermediate Tails is used between first install and the second one.
However, I feel like "voruebergehend" puts the focus on the fact that it
will be gone after some time, hence, I used "voruebergehend"
("vorlaeufig" could be another option. That's actually quite interesting
since both contain a word of movement (laufen, gehen) :)
(even more options would be "kurzfristig" and "langfristig" but they
don't fit in this context. Maybe we should prepare a poll at Logan CIJ
Symposium, so people with more language background could judge :D)

> Regarding "unter Nutzung"= "durch xyz installiert" resp. "mit Hilfe":
> afaik we agreed upon using "unter Nutzung" someday, but I cannot recover
> if that was on this mailing list or at all. Perhaps this was also just

I think I recall some discussion about that. Feel free to keep "unter
Nutzung" or whatever makes it consistent with the other pages; I lost
track of all the recent translations...

In case of
"Falls es nicht möglich ist, den USB-Stick zu aktualisieren, weil
dieser nicht unter Nutzung des Tails Installers installiert wurde,"
I changed it to
"...weil dieser nicht durch den Tails Installer installiert wurde"
to get rid of the nominalisation because it made me stumble a bit when
reading the sentence. But as above, feel free to revert that change if
it makes it consistent with the wording of the rest of the pages.

> about something specific that fitted better in a special case. Maybe the
> others from the team know it? If not, I'm also okay with your proposed
> changes.

Cheers,
~flapflap