Re: [Tails-l10n] (discuss)[de] Tails installer: inline pages

Author: spriver
To: Tails localization discussion
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] (discuss)[de] Tails installer: inline pages
Hi,

flapflap:
> spriver:
>> Hi,
>> thanks for reviewing. I liked your change from "letztendlich" to
>> "endgültig". Muri and me used "letztendlich" quite often in the
>
> I also thought about "letztendlich" a bit and I'm not quite sure why I
> picked "endgueltig" then. I think both are semantically ok, though,
> "endgueltig" sounded somehow nicer to me.

I'm all fine with endgültig. Sounds also nicer to me ;)

>> Installation assistant, so I'll put this on my To-Do list to change this
>> at all places we used it yet? (ofc if the others agree ;) )
>
> Probably another thing to track is
> "Tails [unter win/linux/...] auch *einem*? USB-Stick installieren"
> *einem* should be *einen* (i.e. accusative instead of dative case), if
> I'm not mistaken.

You're absolutely right. I will add this to my list, we can use it for
all the next translations, in the next weeks I'll create a branch and
apply all changes we decided upon an then release it for review if
that's okay for you (:

> Another change that could affect more pages is "zwischenzeitlich" ->
> "vorübergehend". If I'm doing a reverse translation de->en, I'd
> translate it as "meanwhile/in the meantime" -> "transient", where IMHO
> the latter is closer to "intermediate".
> I understand the sentences as "we need to install a Tails that will be
> deleted/not needed in the long run and the second Tails is the one you
> actually want to use". Literally, "zwischenzeitlich" means "between two
> points in time" and "voruebergehend" means sth like "passing" or
> "preliminary". I think both words are possible, for example, the
> intermediate Tails is used between first install and the second one.
> However, I feel like "voruebergehend" puts the focus on the fact that it
> will be gone after some time, hence, I used "voruebergehend"
> ("vorlaeufig" could be another option. That's actually quite interesting
> since both contain a word of movement (laufen, gehen) :)
> (even more options would be "kurzfristig" and "langfristig" but they
> don't fit in this context. Maybe we should prepare a poll at Logan CIJ
> Symposium, so people with more language background could judge :D)

I understand. Thanks for the quite useful explanation (: I also like
"vorübergehend" more now. It also sounds better in combination with
"endgültig". "Vorübergehend" is something that will pass and then will
result in "endgültig". Yay (:
The idea about asking sounds good, maybe we should do so!

>> Regarding "unter Nutzung"= "durch xyz installiert" resp. "mit Hilfe":
>> afaik we agreed upon using "unter Nutzung" someday, but I cannot recover
>> if that was on this mailing list or at all. Perhaps this was also just
>
> I think I recall some discussion about that. Feel free to keep "unter
> Nutzung" or whatever makes it consistent with the other pages; I lost
> track of all the recent translations...

So let's use "unter Nutzung" for all cases where something is done using
some operating system. One is using an OS and starting it completely, so
I'd say "unter Nutzung von $OS"...
But I also thought that "mit Hilfe" suits better for applications and
"unter Nutzung von" fits nicer to an OS? What do you think? (we use "mit
Hilfe" already for applications at some places in the doc)

> In case of
>   "Falls es nicht möglich ist, den USB-Stick zu aktualisieren, weil
>    dieser nicht unter Nutzung des Tails Installers installiert wurde,"
> I changed it to
>   "...weil dieser nicht durch den Tails Installer installiert wurde"
> to get rid of the nominalisation because it made me stumble a bit when
> reading the sentence.  But as above, feel free to revert that change if
> it makes it consistent with the wording of the rest of the pages.

...and use different terms in places where it fits better. (e.g. I think
"unter Nutzung" fits better for titles, at least I think).

Wow, German is a quite complicated language. It feels good to have this
discussion here, sometimes I don't know if our translations are
understandable for non-tech persons ;) And I'd like to have a consistent
wording with which everyone from the team is happy.

I'll also collect our terms locally since they appear quite often in the
doc and try to apply the changes to other places in the doc, too.

I hope I did not forget anything now ;) if not and you're okay we can
pull this branch then (since your changes to the pages are okay then).

Cheers!
spriver