Re: [Tails-testers] [Tails-dev] Please test Tails 2.0~beta1

Author: Daniel Kahn Gillmor
To: intrigeri
CC: Tails list for early testers
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] [Tails-dev] Please test Tails 2.0~beta1
On Tue 2016-01-05 14:33:28 -0800, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> On Tue 2016-01-05 15:48:53 -0500, intrigeri wrote:
>> In the bootloader: I don't know.
>
> hm, i just poked around in grub and couldn't find anything. I might ask
> over on grub-devel if this is something they'd be able and willing to
> add.

see grub upstream's response below.

looks like it's not directly possible in grub as it stands, but the grub
devs don't seem horrified by the request.

probably not high on my list of things to do, but might be a small task
for someone who wants to get their hands dirty with grub.

      --dkg

06.01.2016 11:50, Daniel Kahn Gillmor пишет:
> Hi grub folks--
>
> Is there a way that a grub script (or the grub commandline) can report
> the amount of available memory?
>
> It seems like it would be useful in situations like a liveCD or bootable
> image that might want to warn the user up front if the available RAM is
> smaller than the advertised minimum. (e.g. Tails or debirf)
>
> Currently, when systems boot with less memory than their minimums, they
> often end up with a kernel dump or something similarly unintelligible to
> most users. A well-crafted grub configfile for such an image could
> provide the user with something more understandable, or at least warn
> the user before continuing that the available memory is believed to be
> inadequate.
>
> I could also imagine a use case like an automated boot process that
> selects some x86_64 kernel or boot options on machines with > 4GiB of
> RAM and plain x86 for machines with less.
>
> any pointers to how to do this?

Look at lsmmap; in principle, it could be extended to report totals and
set value to variable, or another command added.