Re: [Tails-testers] [Tails-dev] Please test Tails 2.0~beta1

Author: intrigeri
To: Daniel Kahn Gillmor
CC: Tails list for early testers
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] [Tails-dev] Please test Tails 2.0~beta1
Hi,

Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote (05 Jan 2016 19:39:07 GMT) :
> How much RAM is expected to be available for this to work? it crashes
> with an unintelligible message when i boot it under kvm with 128MiB of
> RAM, but it seems to work if i use 1GiB of RAM.

The documented hardware requirements were bumped from 1GiB to 2GiB
a few months ago. Very basic usage should work with 1GiB in practice,
but if it breaks, then you get to collect the pieces and build a nice
3D Tails logo with them, that you can bring to next DebConf :)

> Is there a way to detect the amount of RAM in the bootloader and warn
> the user with a comprehensible error message if it doesn't seem to be
> enough?

In the bootloader: I don't know.

In my experience, we see users with 512MiB and such problems from time
to time, and this should be enough to reach the Greeter and display
a graphical error message. I cannot remember anyone trying with 128MiB
and telling us about it, before you did :)

We have a (now old) ticket about this:
https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/5502