Re: [Tails-dev] Fw: htpdate fix

Author: GoodCrypto Support
To: Daniel Kahn Gillmor, tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Fw: htpdate fix
Hi Dan

> do you have any diagnostics about why the htpdate sync is failing?

The system notification and /var/log/htpdate.log messages show different failures for different sites. No connection, no http date, or most interestingly, a wild time skew. The tails system time is often set to something that is far off. This looks like an update to the old targeted NTP tagging of traffic.

> Shell script monitors like this are likely to be brittle, unfortunately.

Sure. In this case we're no worse off if it doesn't work, and it seems to work pretty well.

> ... should be in the htpdate service ... systemd

There are always better ways. We haven't worked with perl for many years, and are just starting to tame systemd. Something that works now is usually better than waiting.

If persistent time sync failure isn't important enough to work around, why include htpdate?

GoodCrypto Warning: Anyone could have read this message. Use encryption, it works.