Re: [Tails-dev] Fw: htpdate fix

Author: Daniel Kahn Gillmor
To: GoodCrypto Support, tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Fw: htpdate fix
On Tue 2016-01-05 10:51:52 -0500, GoodCrypto Support wrote:
> Message forwarded from tails-bugs@??? ....
>
> > could you contact the dev team at tails-dev@??? about the script you are proposing ?
>
> Sometimes for days we can't get an htpdate time sync in tails. Because we believe someone is likely tagging traffic with a time skew to track them, we had to restart tails again and again.

do you have any diagnostics about why the htpdate sync is failing?
learning the underlying cause and addressing it sounds like a worthwhile
project.

> Running the script attached in tails syncs time. You might want to include it at boot. It's probably a good idea to restart tor afterwards.

Shell script monitors like this are likely to be brittle, unfortunately.

This looks like logic that should be included in the htpdate service
itself or in its supervisor (e.g. an htpdate.service file for systemd).
If the logic can't be handled in those places for some reason, and you
really want to monitor and restart the service separately, you might be
interested in frameworks that have thought about more of the corner
cases (like monit).

regards,

      --dkg