Re: [Tails-testers] Some criticism about the 2.0 beta

Author: intrigeri
To: Tails list for early testers
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] Some criticism about the 2.0 beta
Hi,

Spencer wrote (28 Dec 2015 18:58:51 GMT) :
>> intrigeri:
>> If there were specific,
>> actionable bug reports to be found later on, then I would appreciate
>> if someone extracted them for me. Thanks!

> Mostly usability stuff, hence my questions for more information.

Thanks a lot, Spencer!

> However, there are some that might be. You can decide what to address :)

> • Booting time to use the internet feels longer than before and than expected:

> [Tails 2.0 takes >5 min to finally be ready for work on my 8yr old computer...Yeah,
> similar for me...With how long it takes to boot I was expecting an in-flight movie]

It's not surprising that boot time increased a bit (nothing crazy
though in my tests on moderately old hardware such as a X200). This is
combined with the fact we now tell "Tor is ready" only once time has
been fully sync'ed (including htpdate), contrary to what we did in
Tails 1.x, so indeed it feels like it takes longer, but at least we're
not pretending things are ready before they really are ⇒ this should
be addressed by #7437 and friends, nothing we can do about it for 2.0.

> • Keyboard rendering issues (maybe, needs reproduced):

> [The on-screen keyboard It refuses to even display a fraction of the bottom key row
> unless it's resized to like 50% of the screen. I really thought they had cut the
> space bar out for some reason.]

I can't reproduce it, so we'll need a real bug report.

> • Encrypted Persistent Storage permissions issue:

> [can you too open the Tails persistent volume config wizard? I get told my volume was
> r/o (though I can write to it)...i got told it's read-only too, i don't think
> i mounted it as such...I don't have a PV configured but the prompt to configure one
> showed up

Reproduced! That's a blocker for 2.0, now tracked as
https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/10809.

> ...so we found a bug...After about 30 seconds]

I'm glad this beta1 allowed this.

> • Tool tips on hover/mouse-over:

> [I've clicked on about 50 icons where I had no idea what it would do and there was no
> mouseover text either...yeah that's annoying]

I sometimes am annoyed by it too. Thankfully, AFAICT no destructive or
non-revertable action is ever triggered by these buttons. I don't know
what the rationale behind this move is, anyone who wants to move this
forward should start by checking the latest GNOME HIG and/or asking
the GNOME design folks to see it's on purpose with a proper
justification, or merely bugs that should be fixed. Spencer: it would
be great if you could take this one; if so, please redirect the
discussion to tails-ux@???.

> • Default launch application:

> [if you double-click on a *.txt file: Does it open in gedit or traverso on your
> system?...It opens in gedit. Are you in a root nautilus?...That causes them to open
> in traverso....nautilus as amnesia...Well that's definitely a bug then]

"Cool", this seems to confirm my guess on a similar issue reported by
sajolida: https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/10798